Sports Column: Penn State will move on, grow

Long before Ohio kicker Matt Weller put toe to leather to launch the 2012 season, it was more than clear that Penn State was ready to begin a new chapter in its football history.

The tumultuous saga, which is better known as the Jerry Sandusky scandal, rocked the foundation of a program and university that had built a once-pristine and iconic image. Despite the consternation, one principle remains clear: They are still Penn State.

The program’s support is unwavering, conjuring up t-shirts and posters coined with phrases such as “You stayed with us, now we stand for you” and “Billieve,” playing on coach Bill O’Brien.

The Bobcats burst out of the tunnel and were greeted by a 97,000-person crowd of adoring Nittany Lions supporters.

The playing principles of Penn State football have remained the same for years, — highlighted by a staunch defense led by an oft-impressive linebacker corps that balances a conservative offensive scheme.

One difference between Penn State now and of years past, though, is the names that now adorn the backs of players’ jerseys. In the history of the program, the jersey space covering players’ shoulder blades has been blank.

Fans in State College might be skeptical of the break from tradition, but the move’s intention is clear-cut: focus on the young men that make up the program and divert attention away from the maligned institution.

The move makes a lot of sense, because for the healing to start, the season needed to begin. Even though it began with a loss, it is important; people can now start to move on from this tragedy, but not forget that it occurred.

Still, the Happy Valley populous still shows some resentment in regard to the sanctions the NCAA issued in late July. 

For every encouraging sign, there was another that read “The Freeh Stooges,” “We are … So pissed,” and the like.

But the Nittany Lions’ fate is far from written in stone.

Despite their opening-day loss, I think newly-minted coach Bill O’Brien is a good fit for his job.

“He has made changes there,” Ohio coach Frank Solich said. “They’re moving forward with what Bill O’ Brien is all about, and I give them credit for that. It’s never easy to step in and follow a coaching legend like Joe Paterno in terms of wins and losses … as I view it; he’s his own guy. He is doing what he thinks is best for Penn State.”

One PSU fan I overheard on the concourse set the record straight for what seems to be popular opinion among Nittany Lions supporters. He said it wasn’t the best game he’d ever seen from his hometown team, but that he saw room for improvement.

He’s right: there’s room to grow. The players and coaches will see the film and have a different gameplan for next week. More importantly, though, the community will continue to heal and, hopefully, eventually prosper once again, despite the pain rooted in the actions of one man and inactions of others.

Nick Robbe is a senior studying journalism and sports editor for The Post. Email him at nr225008@ohiou.edu