Student and faculty alike line up on the third floor of Baker University Center for tickets to see Vice President Joe Biden speak on Saturday. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Students, faculty queuing for Biden tickets

The recent news that Vice President Joe Biden is coming to Athens created a long line in Baker Center this afternoon.

Students, professors and locals gathered in an ever-growing line to get their free tickets, which are given away on a first-come, first-serve basis, from local Organizing for America members in a small room on the third floor of Baker University Center.

“(I’m seeing Biden because) I’m interested in politics. I think it’s a big thing,” said Tony Zhao, a freshman studying finance from China, who had been waiting for almost an hour for his ticket at 12:45 p.m.

Ron Gray, an instructor of English as a second language courses, brought Zhao and other Chinese students to get tickets for the event as extra credit.

“It’s a good chance for them to see him and his speaking style,” Gray said, adding that he will be voting for Obama and Biden in the fall.

Roughly 30 people were still in line at 1:15 p.m. in Baker Center. Tickets will be available until 6 p.m. today and from 12 – 6 p.m. tomorrow in Baker Center room 356.

There are roughly 800 tickets for the event, with many already gone.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

Correction: Ron Gray was incorrectly identified in an earlier version of this article.