Carley Jones and Meredith Ashy react after the Bobcats score a point. The two Kentucky natives were opponents in high school before they become college teammates. (Michael Pronzato | For The Post)

Volleyball: High-school rivals end up on same side of net at The Convo

Entering a varsity athletic program as a freshman might be a challenge for most. Being a new addition to a group of already established players, each with bonds built during the span of multiple seasons, can be a difficult adjustment.

But for two Bobcats, who are Kentucky natives, a bond on the court existed before the duo ever put on the green and white.

Freshmen Meredith Ashy and Carley Jones played in the same high-school league, lining up across the net from one another while playing for Sacred Heart and Notre Dame Academy, respectively.

The two competed against each other at least once per season throughout their careers, splitting six matches.

Each was a leader and standout player on her team during their high-school careers. Jones set her school’s single-season record of digs in her senior year with 488 and also holds the career record of 1049. Ashy was named to the all-region, all-Catholic and all-district tournament teams during her senior season.

However, despite their personal achievements and schools’ annual play, the two had not talked or fully met each other until a spring break trip at the end of their senior season.

“I remember playing against Carley since we were both, like, 12,” Ashy said. “But we didn’t really know each other until starting camp, even though we’re both from the same area.”

Ashy, from Louisville, and Jones, who lives in Edgewood, Ky., reside an hour and a half away from each other while at home. Both of their teams were perennial contenders in the state polls, and they interacted more than they remember.

“It doesn’t stand out that they have played against each other for such a long time,” said Ohio coach Ryan Theis. “Once all of our players commit, they meet up and befriend each other at camps and really get to know each other. They’re close, but there is nothing preexisting that I’ve noticed.”

During their first nine matches for Ohio, Ashy and Jones have received a significant deal of playing time, as both have played in every match.

Ashy is edging out Jones in almost every statistical category thus far, but the two are just beginning to lay their imprint on the program. With almost four years left, they will have plenty of time to build upon their preexisting roots.

“We are very, very close now,” Ashy said. “I never really knew that we would be playing together. It’s great to have someone here (in Athens) that grew up close to my home.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu