8 Bobcat Ambassadors Chosen To Represent OU

Ohio University’s Bobcat Ambassadors were announced at the Yell Like Hell pep rally on College Green Thursday. The eight ambassadors — five seniors and one from each underclassmen year — were chosen by the largest vote in OU history.

——————

SENIOR BOBCAT AMBASSADORS

Jessica Growney: A senior studying exercise physiology, Growney graduated from high school a year early and now is a member of the ROTC program. In addition to ROTC, she participates in Relay for Life and went to South Korea last year for a highway cleanup. Growney also expressed her love for crafting and said it is her No. 1 stress reliever. She is a long way from home, traveling from Nebraska to OU — one reason she said she is excited to be a Homecoming ambassador.

“The friendships I’ve made and the people I’ve met here have gotten me through any homesick day,” she said. “As an ambassador, I would show them that OU is the place to be.”

Kerri Van Reeth: Van Reeth is a senior studying communication and retail design, as well as a member of  Women’s Chorale and Title IX. She is a resident assistant and a member of the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society. Van Reeth said her passion for OU and involvement make her a qualified ambassador.

“I love this university; anyone who knows me knows that,” she said. “I have had this university instilled in me at a young age and I will love to share that with everyone in Ohio.”

Victoria Regan: A senior studying communication sciences and disorders and Spanish, Regan said she has tried to stay involved on campus because that’s where she feels college students get the most experience. Reagan is a member of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association, volunteers with adults with disabilities, is a sister of Delta Gamma sorority and is also a member of Order of Omega, a leadership honors society. Regan is also a native Athens resident, which she says influenced her to join homecoming court.

“I think it’s twice as great to be on court as an Athens resident because it’s not only a chance to represent OU, but also an opportunity to represent Athens, which I know means a great deal to everyone,” she said.

Kate Wilse: A senior studying public relations, Wilse is another third-generation Bobcat on homecoming court. Wilse said that her involvement at OU is one of the things that has helped her grow as a person, including volunteering, acting as president of the university program council and being a sister of Sigma Kappa sorority. Wilse also said that her passion for OU is one of the things she is looking forward to bringing to her position of ambassador.

“I bleed green and white, I’m not afraid to wear OU gear at OSU,” she said. “I love this campus, I’ve had some many opportunities and I really want to share my experiences and give back what OU has given me.”

Dori Branch: A senior studying media management, Branch said that being highly involved with different activities and clubs at OU has allowed her to not only get to know many people, but especially those on homecoming court. Branch has been a member of Women’s Chorale, is a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority and is a building manager at Baker Center. Branch said that though she does not see herself as the typical image of homecoming, the diversity at OU has allowed her this opportunity.

“As a drama nerd in high school I never thought I’d be involved in homecoming court or greek life in college, but it just goes to show you how inclusive and great this university is,” Branch said.

——————

JUNIOR AMBASSADOR

Alex Martinez: A junior studying interactive multimedia, Martinez has been involved in different organizations including being a resident assistant, a member of the Singing Men of Ohio and a member of Student Senate. He also currently serves as president of the Ohio University Multimedia Society. Martinez said that his passion for OU is what made him join court and want to become an ambassador.

“I have fallen in love with Ohio University and the city of Athens and strive to make a difference through my various activities,” he said.

——————

SOPHOMORE AMBASSADOR

Alex George: A sophomore studying broadcast journalism, George is involved in different aspects of the OU community. George works at WOUB as a reporter and weather reporter and serves as West Green Senator for Ohio University's Student Senate. She is also a tour guide and Scripps Journalism tutor. George said that her involvement is what made her want to join Bobcat Court.

“I really want to make the most of my four years here,” she said.

——————

FIRST-YEAR AMBASSADOR

Hannah Brown: A freshman studying biological sciences, pre-medicine, Brown said that she has made the most of her short time at Ohio University. Brown is involved in Student Senate, Pre-Med Club, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Brown said she joined court because she is full of school spirit and takes a lot of pride in attending Ohio University.

“I make a great class representative for first-year students because I strive to be an exemplary role model, inside and outside the classroom,” she said.

ks574510@ohiou.edu