Amid surge of out-of-towners, guest safety a priority for university administrators

Ohio University officials have made plans for the safety of students and non-students alike this weekend as the goons and goblins come out Saturday night.

OU has coordinated guest registration, monitored residence halls, the “green jacket program” and an information station Uptown.

“Please know we have expectations for our city and university,” Interim Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said concerning guests coming to Athens for Halloween.

OU sends an email to all guests who register to stay in residence halls during Halloween weekend describing what is expected of them, as well as an email to all students and their parents requesting their help in ensuring a safe weekend.

“Every year, we come up with something new or different to communicate with students and get the word out,” Hall-Jones said.

Guests who get lost or need information can visit a tent the city and university are setting up in front of the city building on East Washington Street, she said.

Hall-Jones said if registered guests are arrested, they should go back to the residence halls where they are staying and ask for assistance from the residential staff.

The university is also continuing its “green jacket program,” but for the first time, students will be participating in the Halloween patrols along with university officials.

“Eleven students have volunteered to do green jackets,” Hall-Jones said. “(We walk) around buildings and just make sure everyone is OK. … We are extra eyes and ears, but by no means law enforcement.”

The green jackets operate on campus, Uptown and on Mill and Palmer streets, Jones said, adding there will be 50 teams on patrol, most of which are composed of two people.

OU has distributed information to students through flyers in Baker University Center, posters in residence halls, emails and mandatory floor meetings in residence halls, said Christine Sheets, assistant vice president for Capital and Facilities Planning.

Laura Jersek, a freshman at Ohio State University from Columbia, Mo., who is visiting OU for Halloween, said she isn’t concerned about possible problems that could arise during the weekend.

“I’m not anxious. I’m excited to (attend Halloween in Athens), because it’s a big deal,” Jersek said. “I’m excited to see what all the talk is about.”

Mat Buchman, a freshman at OU studying biology, said he registered a friend to stay in his room, but doesn’t appreciate the cost increase, which has been raised from $25 to $35 per guest this year.

“They always seem to find a different way to nickel and dime us,” Buchman said. “So I would say the amount seems a bit unreasonable.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu