Between The Lines: Counting 'lasts' is an unenjoyable way to live

Seeing the leaves change color during my senior year of college reminded me of what an overused metaphor autumn is. But it’s impossible to deny that everything will be changing pretty soon.

It has become increasingly difficult to stop thinking of things in terms of “lasts” — my last year of school, my last fall in Athens.

Even worse is looking into the future toward the time when these things will end: my last free admission to an OU football game, my last day at The Post.

Kind of a depressing way to look at things.

Instead of that, I have been challenging myself to look at things in other ways: My most fun year of school. My best fall in Athens. My free admission to an OU football game in which I lost my voice the fastest. My most exciting day at The Post.

But wait, it’s just October. There are still seven football games left in the regular season, not to mention all the hockey, basketball and baseball games I want to attend.

There will be concerts, comedians, parties and movies. Softball games, broomball games and video games with my roommates. There are still about 120 more issues of the newspaper that have to be made.

I can still go to more Jackie O’s happy hours and another Chili Bowl cook-off. I can still sit on my Uptown house’s porch and watch revelers from a safe distance. There are still about 120 more Frank Zappa albums to listen to.

So there’s a lot left to do. And I’m going to focus on doing it, rather than counting how many more times I’m going to be able to. Let’s save the sappy stuff for graduation day.

Joe Fox is the associate editor for The Post. Email him at jf250409@ohiou.edu.