Between The Lines: Finally, an excuse to look at baby animals

Once in a while, science does me a solid.

Usually, it doesn’t; let’s be real. Usually, science is telling me that music won’t help me study, or wine is bad for me, or going to class will help me get better grades.

Usually, I don’t listen.

But this time, those scientists are spot-on.

A group in Japan recently released a study coined The Power of Kawaii. “Kawaii” means cute, so you already know this will be good.

This study indicated that there’s a simple solution for people having a difficult time focusing on their work. It’s not making and following a to-do list. It’s not 5-Hour Energy — I hate the idea of that stuff — and it’s not even getting more sleep.

It’s looking at pictures of adorable baby animals.

You heard me. Don’t pretend like you don’t do it. Every time you see a link combining the words “cute,” “baby” and “animal” in any order, you know you click on the link.

But now, you don’t have to hide it anymore. When your boss, a coworker, your significant other or a judgmental stranger strolls past your computer, you no longer have to hastily switch to a different tab and pretend you were checking your email the entire time.

Now, those pictures you like to gush over are serving an important purpose — one you should embrace.

That kitten with the lopsided ears and blue eyes? She’s going to help you fill out a report more quickly.

The baby kangaroo that’s just learning how to hop? He’s gonna make your spreadsheet 10 times more efficient.

And — heaven help me — Anderson Cooper holding the world’s tiniest puppy? You might as well cut your workday in half.

If you’ve made it this far and you don’t agree with me, thanks for sticking it out. It could be worse, right? I could be making you look at baby animals.

Although it’s difficult for me to comprehend the existence of human beings who don’t thrive on photos of baby animals, I do accept the fact that they’re out there.

It’s okay; you’re still a good person. If we met, I’d probably still like you.

But the truth is, a person who doesn’t melt at the sight of a cuddly little puppy or kitten is a person I’ll never understand.

And if baby ducks, hedgehogs, pandas or tigers don’t get to you, or baby penguins or owls or pigs or sheep or chinchillas or elephants …

I can’t handle it. I have to stop.

But science says I’m on the right track.

Rebecca McKinsey is the managing editor for The Post. Do you gush over animal photos? Email her at rm279109@ohiou.edu.