Jessica Jue loses her footing as she passes the ball. Ohio battled the entire game but fell to the Northwestern Wildcats 2-1 on Sept. 23. (Mike Pronzato | For the Post)

Field Hockey: Ohio falls to Miami in regular season

Ohio ran through Mid-American Conference competition in the 2011 season with a 9-1 record in conference play, four games better than the next-best MAC team.

The Bobcats’ 2012 season has been quite different, though, as they finished 2-3 in a MAC schedule that was shortened because the conference felt it was not practical to play that lengthy a schedule.

Ohio’s 3-1 loss to Miami Saturday was the final nail in its unsatisfactory conference campaign. Although the Bobcats weren’t as disappointed with the loss as they were in road defeats to Kent State and Central Michigan earlier in the year, there is frustration that the team couldn’t pull out a MAC title for one of the most successful senior classes in school history.

“It’s very, very disappointing,” coach Neil Macmillan said, “because we have a team that had the potential at the start of the year to win the conference.

Macmillan and company said the Bobcats are better than most of their MAC competition because of their high expectations heading into the season.

Ohio has taken care of business against the cellar dwellers of the MAC. Its two conference wins came at home against Ball State and Missouri State, which the Bobcats beat by a combined score of 12-1. However, those are also the worst two teams in the conference.

But scoring issues, which were a problem that plagued the Bobcats in losses to Big Ten opponents such as Michigan State, Northwestern and Ohio State, followed Ohio into games against more elite MAC competition.

Though they weren’t overwhelmed in defeat, the Bobcats struggled to score, managing only one goal per game against Kent State, Central Michigan and Miami.

The Bobcats’ inability to finish around the net will be addressed as Ohio fights to extend its postseason aspirations in the MAC Tournament on Friday.

“Obviously, we need to create more chances offensively and inside the opponents’ 25,” senior Taylor Brown said. “It’s just creating things like corners, shots and really playing at our level all game and not dropping down to the level of our opponent.”

ch203310@ohiou.edu