Terrence “Teuro” Robinson emerged as the victor in this year’s edition of Battle of the MCs on Saturday. Teuro will open Friday’s concert with Machine Gun Kelly. (Provided)

Last year's runner-up dethrones former champ in Battle of the MCs

Big beats and impassioned rhymes resounded throughout the Baker Center Theater Saturday night as local rappers competed to be named the opener for the Machine Gun Kelly concert next weekend.

The annual Battle of the MCs, put on by the Black Student Cultural Programming Board, named Terrence “Teuro” Robinson the winner, dethroning last year’s champion, Jéan P.

Teuro, the runner-up in last year’s competition, stole the title after impressing the judges and the crowd through several rounds: a cypher, performance of an original song, an a cappella performance and the grand finale, a freestyle battle between the final two competitors.

“I think I left my heart on the stage,” Teuro said. “It feels right. It was cool and it was great.”

The freestyle round pitted Teuro against the reigning Jéan P. When the final round started, all of the crowd members rushed to the stage to cheer on their favorites as the emcees spewed verses about each other.

The crowd roared its approval when Teuro was named the winner.

Brittany Artino, the emcee for the competition, said that the event was a great success because of a large turnout to support the artists and strong performances by all the artists.

“I really loved Teuro’s performance; there was a bunch of energy, he was great, and I loved it,” Artino said.

Teuro will open for MGK and Pusha T on Friday at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

ds834910@ohiou.edu