Men's golf: Cold start for 'Cats at Firestone

The Firestone Invitational started in an unusual way Monday morning. The first 18 holes of the tournament were canceled because of a frost-covered course.

As a result, the tournament was shortened from 54 to 36 holes after the course defrosted. The Bobcats, however, were never able to warm up and finished the day in 17th and last place.

Ohio’s roster consisted of seniors Michael Lamping, Brad Lucas and Byron Firestone, junior Connor Coldwater and freshman Brad Burgess.

The team combined for an 18-hole total of 307 strokes, 19 shots over par.

Lucas had the best day of the Bobcats, carding a score of 75, finishing tied for 43rd.  The team’s top four scores contributed to the total.

Firestone and Lamping were next, both having scores of 77. Coldwater rounded out the team with a score of 78.

Ball State led the pack at Firestone North Monday. The Cardinals as a team carded a score of 282 (-6).  Junior Tyler Merkel finished the round with a score of 68, four shots under par and tied for the individual lead with Matt Atkins from South Carolina-Aiken.

The rest of the top five was made up of South Carolina-Aiken, Davidson, Iowa State, Eastern Michigan and Akron.

Ohio is within seven strokes of five teams including Bowling Green, Nebraska and Wisconsin.  

Ohio will look to heat up and rebound from its poor first round.

If the Marshall Invitational serves as any indication, the Bobcats play better their second time through the course, improving eight strokes from day one to day two.     

The tournament continues Tuesday with another 18-hole round, where the forecast calls for another chance of a frosty start to the morning in Akron.

tj790511@ohiou.edu