The Ohio University 2012 Football Team Head Shots.

Ohio football player suspended after alleged assault

An Ohio University football player has been suspended from the team after he was arrested for allegedly punching an OU student in the face.

Keith “Mike” Lucas, 19, was arrested and charged with one count of felonious assault after he allegedly struck David Speier, also an OU student, in the face at about 3:50 a.m. Sunday.

Speier suffered several facial bone fractures and was taken to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, according to a university police department report.

Lucas, of Chicago, and four other men allegedly assaulted Speier while he was sitting on a bench outside Sargent Hall on West Green, according to the report.

Alcohol was also allegedly involved in the incident, according to the report.

University Police Chief Andrew Powers could not be reached for comment.

Lucas, a redshirt freshman offensive lineman, has been suspended from the football team because of his arrest, said Tom Symonds, assistant athletic director for media relations. Symonds did not comment further about the incident.

He played in five games for Ohio this season, but did not see action in the Bobcats’ season-opener against Penn State or Saturday’s Homecoming game against Akron.

Lucas was released on his own recognizance after his arraignment hearing in Athens County Municipal Court on Monday.

Lucas could be sentenced to a maximum of eight years in prison and a maximum fine of $15,000 if convicted of the charge at a trial, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

He is due back in court Oct. 25 at 2 p.m. for a preliminary hearing.

— Jim Ryan contributed to this report.

ml147009@ohiou.edu