Post Endorsement: Bill Bias for County Treasurer

Fresh ideas are commendable, but in the case of the Athens County treasurer, we believe experience is vital. The Post endorses Democratic candidate Bill Bias over Libertarian candidate Abe Alassaf.

Bias has the background needed to be treasurer of Athens County. He has served as president of Athens City Council as well as chairman of the Finance and Personnel Committee.

His four years of experience as the Athens City treasurer further add to his qualifications. On the other hand, Alassaf’s platform doesn’t seem to have much substance.

Alassaf made the decision to run for Athens County treasurer after noting that Bias was running unopposed, and he chose to run as a Libertarian because it required fewer signatures than an Independent ballot slot would have.

We don’t believe that Alassaf’s experience — overseeing his late father’s estate and managing his personal investments — suitably prepares him to manage a county’s finances.

We also aren’t confident that Alassaf’s plan to work a day job as treasurer while taking classes by night is feasible.

That said, Alassaf’s emphasis on honesty is notable, and his idea to create a website allowing Athens residents to pay their taxes online is a solid one. We would encourage Bias to pursue the website idea and to be honest in his dealings.

Alassaf ran to give voters a choice, and that’s important, but Bias has the experience to effectively man the job of Athens County treasurer.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.