Post Endorsement: Sherrod Brown for U.S. Senate

It’s important that a politician representing a state in Congress recognizes the individual needs of every part of that state.

For the past six years, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown has learned of and addressed those needs in Ohio.

The Post endorses Brown for Senate over Republican Josh Mandel.

When it comes to hydraulic fracturing, a topic near the forefront of many Southeast Ohio voters’ minds, Brown’s ideas are solid.

He wants transparency from the companies who are “fracking,” and he wants fracking-related jobs to go to Southeast Ohio residents.

We believe Brown deserves students’ votes because he has taken them into consideration when shaping his policies.

Brown acknowledges the challenges facing OU students who are looking for employment. He recognizes that students who graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in debt are less likely to start a business, get married and buy a car or house. He’s committed to college affordability.

While Mandel is a proponent of job creation, we believe Brown’s philosophy of cutting down student loans is more efficient when it comes to getting students into the workforce after graduation, rather than facing crippling debt.

And unemployment in Ohio has steadily dropped during the last few years of Brown’s tenure — from 10.6 percent in August 2009 to 7.2 percent in August 2012.

Additionally, we believe Mandel’s definition of marriage equality and views on women’s health care aren’t in the best interest of Ohio’s residents and students alike.

Though Mandel has been proactive in building a resume of his own, it is worth noting he has only served as Ohio’s treasurer for 10 months after a stint in the state legislature. It is hard to ignore Brown’s six years of experience within the U.S. Senate, and we believe he deserves six more.