Post Endorsements: Pat Lang for U.S. House

When voters are presented with two candidates who have good ideas and both seem to care, their main criterion when voting might become which candidate can best help them.

For Ohio University students and residents of Southeast Ohio, The Post believes Pat Lang is the best choice to serve Ohio’s recently redrawn 15th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives.

Pat Lang is a product of OU and as such, he understands OU students. But it goes beyond that. As reported in an article we ran earlier this week, Lang was elected to serve on the Athens City Council when he was 18 — a victory he celebrated with friends at Burger King.

His experiences in Athens, which also include serving as the city’s law director, have prepared Lang to represent the population of Southeast Ohio. That experience, combined with his emphasis on jobs and on keeping college affordable for students, will serve both him and the people of a newly redrawn district well.

Running against Lang is Republican Steve Stivers, who is an Ohio State University alumnus, has served in the Ohio Army National Guard for 27 years and currently represents Ohio’s 15th Congressional District.

Lang’s description of his opponent is an apt one: “He’s a good man. He loves his country. He’s a patriot.” We respect Stivers’ commitment to job growth, and we believe he has done a good job in Columbus.

But with the newly redrawn district lines that incorporate Southeast Ohio into the 15th Congressional District, we believe a vote for Lang will better represent residents in the area.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.