Student feedback to be the focus of Halloween themed Student

With a tuition survey online and a push for increased student participation in university decisions, Student Senate President Zach George is feeling good about Wednesday night’s meeting. 

Student Senate’s Treasurer, Evan Ecos, is excited as well, but also has his mind on another aspect of this week’s meeting—Halloween

“People will show up in costume,” Ecos said, as Wednesday’s meeting will take place on Halloween. “Even if it’s subtle, it will be fun.”

The tuition survey, a vote on student trustee voting rights and movement on the letter writing campaign to Gov. John Kasich are all on the agenda as George and Senate move forward with their primary Fall Semester initiatives. 

The survey, which went live this week, has over 60 responses, George said, adding he wants to have 500 to 1,000 students take the survey in total. 

“Hopefully we can take the data and compile it into a report for President (Roderick) McDavis and other administrators,” he said.

George said wants to submit the information before the Ohio University budget is finalized to allow more student input into a decision making process that has had little student say in past years.

Last week’s presentation on the letter writing campaign George gave was meet with a positive response from senate and be discussed again this week, he said.

Some senators have already turned in their letters and by Nov. 20, the goal is to have about 100 letters, George said.

Senators will also vote on whether or not to voice their support for a bill currently in the Ohio Senate that would allow public university boards of trustees to decide whether or not they would like to give student trustees voting rights on the boards.

“Everyone in the body seems to favor it,” George said. “If you don’t vote, you don’t matter.”

There are no presentations scheduled for this week’s meeting.