Student Senate discusses Convo concert after presidential speech

Even though President Barack Obama visited Athens Wednesday, senators still met to discuss their own political agenda.

Student Senate pushed their weekly meeting back 45 minutes to 8 p.m. to accommodate the president’s visit, discussing resolutions and Ohio University’s spring concert.

Senate President Zach George moderated a discussion among senators about who they would like to see at the concert as senators expressed varied opinions about how concert preparations should move forward.

“At least one of the acts should not be a hip-hop artist,” said Academic Affairs Commissioners Jared Henderson. “We would not only get a larger attendance if that’s the case but people who feel excluded (by hip-hop) could go as well.”

Last year, OU brought Wiz Khalifa and Sean Kingston to The Convo for the concert, costing nearly $150,000, according to a previous Post article.

The Campus Involvement Center, which coordinates and pays for the concert, is considering doing a dual concert with two nights of music, George said

Senate Vice President Amrit Saini reminded senators that they do not coordinate the event, only put forward suggestions for artists to bring to OU.

Some artists discussed included Passion Pit, Big Sean, Maroon 5, Neon Trees, Lupe Fiasco, Michael Buble, The Black Keys and J. Cole, though George cautioned that the center has a limited amount of money to organize the event.

Senators also expressed their happiness with how homecoming went at OU this past weekend. The only complaint concerned the new parade route, which some senators said had more obstacles than the old route

The Senate Appropriations Commission announced its balance is $147, 610.11 at the meeting.

Beyond normal senate business, Ryan Lombardi, interim vice president of Student Affairs, stressed the bigger picture in Wednesday’s meeting.

“This was a really cool couple of weeks for Ohio University and just take a minute to soak it in a little bit,” Lombardi said. “(It’s been) 50 years since these things last happened and they happened in your four years at this institution … regardless of other stuff, it’s a good time to be a Bobcat.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu