Chelsea Bilger

Volleyball: Bobcats extend winning streak to four matches Friday

For the fourth consecutive match, Ohio recorded a sweep of its opponent Friday, defeating Akron at The Convo in three sets.

Ohio (9-8, 4-1 Mid-American Conference) also extended its set winning streak to 12 consecutive games, which appeared as if it would end at 10 after the Bobcats trailed the Zips 18-13 in the second set.

Akron (9-8, 2-3) dominated the majority of the second set, before Ohio finished the set with a 12-5 run to continue its winning streak. The Bobcats were led by a collaborative effort of blocks and kills, led by sophomore outside hitter Chelsea Bilger, who closed the set with three kills.

“I think without question it was a team effort to come back from the deficit,” said Ohio coach Ryan Theis. “The biggest thing was that we did all of the little things right to come back from down seven points and get the win. I was very proud of our team for that.”

After their second set comeback, the Bobcats carried the momentum into the third set and jumped out to an 8-0 lead. Ohio held a lead of at least four points the rest of the set on its way to an eight-point win.

Leading the way for the Bobcats was Bilger, who recorded a match-high 17.5 points and 17 kills. Sophomore middle blocker Serena Warner was also a force at the net, as she blocked Akron six times and added six kills, for 10 points.

The Bobcats will play again at home tomorrow against Buffalo, in the final match of Ohio’s four-match homestand.

“There has been a lot of home wins in the MAC this year, so it’s really important to protect our home before we go back on the road,” Theis said. “The nice part is we’re at home tonight and Buffalo has to drive tomorrow.”  

Buffalo is also strong defensively, ranking second in the MAC in blocks per set, trailing only the Bobcats.