Sophomore libero Meredith Ashy digs the ball during Ohio’s game against Kent State at The Convo. The Bobcats won the match 3-0 on Sept. 27, 2012. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Volleyball: Ohio continues to dominate court

Having won seven straight matches for the first time since last season, Ohio is rolling past Mid-American Conference opponents, as the Bobcats have dropped only two sets during the streak.

This past weekend, the Bobcats (12-8, 7-1 MAC) hit the road and won both matches against Toledo and Ball State.

During its winning streak, Ohio has achieved consistency on both offense and defense, and though at times players have carried the team, wealth has been shared throughout the roster.

In their first five-set win of the season Friday at Toledo, the Bobcats completed a comeback victory by winning the fourth and fifth sets to clinch the match. Ohio’s set-winning streak was stopped at 15 in the match, which is a season long.

Having played five sets, Ohio set multiple team and individual season highs, raising the level of dominance the team already has performed at since the beginning of conference play.

During Friday’s match, Ohio set a season high in aces (7), assists (69) and kills (72). Sophomore outside hitters Kelly Lamberti and Chelsea Bilger set their career highs in kills with 24 and 21 kills, respectively, and combined for 49.5 points.

The Bobcats were also a force at the net on defense with a season-best 16 blocks and 81 digs. Six different players recorded at least two rejections, while freshman libero Meredith Ashy notched a personal-best 29 digs.

In conference play, Ohio has excelled in each of those statistical categories, ranking in the top three of all MAC teams.

“Everyone has their own in-game philosophy on what they need to give in matches,” said Ohio coach Ryan Theis. “We were able to be consistent as a team with everyone contributing this weekend, which was good to see."

While the Bobcats recorded many season-highs on the court Friday, the match against Ball State was a much more different situation.

Ohio continued to share the wealth in all aspects, but no single player stood out on the court. The Bobcats combined to produce a total team effort, as no one recorded double-digit kills or digs, and only two players scored more than 10 points.

HOME COOKING

The Bobcats return to The Convo to play four matches the next two weekends, but the home stand will be the last of the season for Ohio.

Ohio is 8-2 while defending its home court this season and is faring just 4-6 on the road or in neutral sites, despite having won three consecutive matches on the road.

Although the team played a tough out-of-conference schedule to begin the season having taken the court with four teams that were ranked at the time, Ohio has been tested on the road. During a trip to North Carolina, the Bobcats fell in games to both North Carolina State and North Carolina before losing another road match to open MAC play at Bowling Green.

With four road matches remaining on the schedule and the MAC Tournament in Geneva, Ohio, the Bobcats need to secure as many victories on their home court as possible.

“We need to get better at setting at times and continue to score on offense,” Theis said. “Our defense is going to be there, so if we can get better on offense, we will stay tough to beat, especially coming back home.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu