Ohio outside hitter Kelly Lamberti spikes the ball past Miami setter Meg Riley as the Bobcats defeat the RedHawks 3 sets to 1 at the Convo on Oct. 26. (Daniel Kubus | For The Post)

Volleyball: Success at Kent prepares Bobcats for round two

Coming off its fourth two-win weekend in a row, Ohio has a short turnaround this week, as the Bobcats will travel to Kent State Thursday for a Mid-American Conference showdown with the Golden Flashes.

The Bobcats (16-8, 11-1 MAC) defeated the Golden Flashes in straight sets during the teams’ first meeting of the season. Despite the sweep, though, Kent State (6-18, 3-9 MAC) contended in two of the three sets, which were decided by three points or less.

This time around, Ohio will hit the road and begin a four-match road trip to complete its conference schedule. The Bobcats expect to encounter close contention, as three of the matches are rematches from earlier this season.

“It’s always hard the second time around and exceptionally hard the second time around on the road,” Ohio coach Ryan Theis said. “They get to play us on their own floor and also get a chance for revenge with us.”

Last weekend, both Ohio and Kent State played Bowling Green and Miami, but had differing results. The Bobcats swept their opposition to gain sole possession of first place in the MAC for the first time this season, while Kent State lost both its matches.

Kent State has lost six of its past seven matches, while Ohio has won 11 in a row — the Bobcats’ longest such streak since 2007, when they won 15 consecutive matches.

But because of their long winning streak and a first-place distinction, the Bobcats can feel a target on their backs, especially now that the team will be on the road until the MAC Tournament.

“People are always geared up to beat a hot team, but then again we have had a target on our back for years,” Theis said. “It’s important to just continue to play well. Consistency is a coach’s best friend.”

Thursday’s match will be senior night for Kent State, where senior middle blocker Kathy Krupa will be honored by the Golden Flashes. She leads the team in blocks per set and aces, while ranking second in points.

In the first meeting of the season, Krupa was the Golden Flashes’ second most prolific scorer, totaling eight points. Sophomore outside hitter Tinuke Aderemi-Ibitola led Kent State with 12.5.

Ohio sophomore outside hitter Kelly Lamberti was dominant in the team’s first meeting, recording a double-double with 12 kills, 10 digs and 14.5 points.

The Bobcats also hope senior outside hitter Faith Robins and freshman libero Meredith Ashy can continue their recent individual success, as both were named MAC East players of the week Monday.   

“Every team prepares for us so it’s going to be challenging in a different environment,” said Lamberti. “But we need to just keep taking one match at a time. (Kent) is a good defensive team, so we need to keep pushing back.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu