Approval of sewer project could bring businesses, jobs to Athens

The Athens County commissioners met Thursday morning to consider a sewer extension that, if passed, could bring future economic development to Athens County.

The sewer extension would run underneath the Fun Barn and Movies 10, 14333 Route 33, and could spur more developments along the highway, said Jim Edwards, general manager of the Nelsonville TV Cable Inc.

Edwards, who also works in land development, said he hopes to make the project feasible in the long run.

“(The project) has potential to get some development and create some jobs,” Edwards said.

The project is currently in the preliminary stage, and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency must approve the project before it is put into action.

When the project is submitted to the EPA for review, the agency will consider the impact the extension would have on the area before giving the go-ahead to county commissioners, said Erin Strouse, a spokeswoman for the agency.

“We would consider the environmental impact of the project, the socioeconomic impact, whether it is technically feasible and things along those lines,” Strouse said.

Commissioner Larry Payne supported the idea and said the opportunity could have good effects on Athens business.

“If everything works out, it has potential along the highway and should be an ideal location for development. If it spreads down Route 33, it could have even more potential,” Payne said. “It definitely helps the county out.”

az346610@ohiou.edu