Marcus Carney asks a question on Tuesday evening at Casa Nueva’s weekly Trivia Night, where teams answer a series of questions by filling in blank spaces on a sheet of paper. (Katharine Egli | Picture Editor)

Casa Nueva's trivia night turns out a success

Though Ohio University students are normally tested on their knowledge, the newest regular Tuesday night attraction at Casa Nueva is challenging the students and locals alike through bar trivia.

Trivia Night, which began in October, has attracted a packed house almost every week, sometimes leaving Casa standing-room only at times.

“Even the first night, we had 20 some-odd teams, and I try to put the team (members) at six and below, so around four people per team,” said Marcus Carney, coordinator and host of the event. “It exceeded all expectations.”

Carney said that he proposed the idea because he had played trivia “wherever he went,” including Alaska, where he lived for eight years and regularly attended a trivia night.

He proposed the event to Cantina coordinator Greg Lyle before the summer, and they pursued the idea when Carney got back to Athens. Lyle said the event has quickly become very popular.

“People really had a hankering for trivia, I guess,” Lyle said. “I think Marcus is a really good host. He keeps people engaged, not just going ‘What’s this, what’s this, what’s this?’ He keeps it fun.”

The night comprises five 10-question rounds of trivia, with prizes awarded to the winners. Liquor distributors or Casa itself generally donate prizes, often called “bar swag.” Carney said he hopes in the future they can work with local businesses to acquire different types of prizes.

Lyle said he approximates that 22 to 33 teams attend per week, with usually four members each. Of these, he said, 60 to 70 percent are repeat teams.

Damian Caucill, a recent OU graduate and a regular at Trivia Night, said that the eclectic nature of the event fits well into the community.

“Athens is a really unique town, and there are a lot of people here who are into weird things, and this covers a lot of topics,” Caucill said. “There’s music rounds and a lot of stuff about movies, and I think it’s very Athens-centric.”

Caucill said he predicts that the event will keep growing in popularity, but he thinks the organizers might run into a problem with seating, as tables run out as early as 7:30 p.m., an hour and a half before the event starts.

Another obstacle is that Carney, a senior studying finance, is leaving Athens next July for a job at J.P. Morgan Chase in Columbus. However, Carney still wants to remain involved in the night.

“I have two months to figure out what I can manage, when I can get off work,” Carney said. “I’m willing to drive down every Tuesday — I love it; it’s a blast. But if not, I’ll have to work with somebody.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu