via Buckeye Music Magazine

Combined concert features new music from local bands

Several local bands will join forces Saturday to promote their newest projects for a projected sold-out show.

Sassafraz and Elemental Groove Theory, joined by Uptowne Buddha, will end a four-day Ohio tour in their hometown of Athens with a show at The Union, 18 W. Union St., to a crowd hungry for new music.

Elemental Groove Theory released its newest album Metamorphosis on Bandcamp early Wednesday for $10 to download digitally. Sassafraz has encountered issues with the release of its newest album and had to delay the release till after the tour, but fans who attend Saturday’s show can give their email address to Sassafraz for a free copy of the album when it’s released.

“In two weeks we’ll send out a download card when the album is done,” said Jack Gould, saxophonist for Sassafraz. “I guess Lenny Kravitz came into the studio … and I think he gets priority (over our album).”

Gould said that they were given the opportunity to record at Tree Sound Studios in Atlanta, Ga., which has hosted stars such as 2Chainz, Justin Bieber and Lenny Kravitz, who is in the process of having his newest album mixed there.

With such a prestigious recording studio working with them, Sassafraz hopes this album sets them apart in the Ohio music scene.

“This album is definitely more hip-hop focused than most of the stuff we’ve done, but it has our sound,” Gould said. “We’re trying to make it sound like a Kanye West or Beyonce track, but our music. The goal is that it won’t sound out of place on the radio.”

Eric Turner, guitarist for Sassafraz, said that he almost felt like he was dreaming while at the studio, surrounded by million-dollar recording equipment and gold and platinum records.

The album Time Will Tell will be announced soon, but Sassafraz is happy to promote Elemental Groove Theory’s new album.

Metamorphosis is the whole idea of going through growth as a group. We started off at a very different place from where we ended up,” said Matt Urminski, bass and percussion for the group. “We’ve had some of the best experiences of our life so far in this group.”

Saturday’s show will be the last show for Elemental Groove Theory, as they are breaking up after the tour ends, though the members noted they will continue their individual projects and remain in touch for possible reunions.

“Athens will probably be the most rowdy show (of the tour),” Urminski said. “I think we’ve built a good reputation for ourselves. … It’s been a fun ride and I think it has opened a lot of doors for us.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Sassafraz & Elemental Groove Theory Dual CD Release Tour

When: 9 p.m. Saturday

Where: The Union, 18 W. Union St.

Admission: $10