Construction work is underway at the old Baker Center as of Aug. 26. It will soon house the new Shoonover Center for Communication. (Erin Corneliussen | Multimedia Editor)

Construction worker injured at Schoonover Center

A construction worker who was injured Wednesday night at the Schoonover Center was released from the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Aaron Conrad, a construction worker with Watertown Steel Company, was injured at about 5 p.m. Wednesday. He was taken to a hospital in Columbus and released later that night, said University Spokeswoman Katie Quaranta.

The Athens Fire Department responded to the accident Wedneday night, and Fire Capt. Bruce Smith said he was unsure whether Conrad fell or was hit by building material.

"I would say he's just got some broken bones," Smith said Wednesday night.

After being helped by the local authorities, Conrad was life-flighted to a Columbus trauma center, said Rick Callebs, director of Athens County Emergency Medical Services.

The cause of the injury remains uncertain, he added.

"(Conrad) was picked up at the O'Bleness helipad and sent off to Columbus," Callebs said. "(The EMS's) involvement was just to stabilize and help with medical care."

Conrad has since returned to Athens and is "fine" and back at his house, said Tony Stephenson, project manager for Watertown Steel Company.

"I can't spread much information because it is still under investigation," Stephenson said. "But he was lifeflighted (to Columbus) for precautionary meaures."

Continue to follow The Post for updates.

sj950610@ohiou.edu

az346610@ohiou.edu

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }