Football: Dreary weather could force running

After Ohio’s week-one win against Penn State, the Bobcats gathered around Assistant Athletic Director for Football Operations Jason Grooms in the visitors’ locker room for a postgame chant declaring their will to win at any cost.

“In the rain, in the snow, in the sleet … We love football,” the team chanted.

The kickoff temperature at Penn State was warm enough to leave fans sunburnt and sweltering, but now Ohio’s ability to brave the elements will be more important than ever.

Thursday’s forecast doesn’t look daunting but could quickly turn to emulate the windy and wet conditions experienced this week in Athens.

Adverse conditions can skew play, calling more toward running plays or quick, short passes than if the skies are dry, said Tim Albin, Ohio’s offensive coordinator.

“I think the weather can impact; if you throw the ball every time and you have weather like we have right now then it’s going to be tough sledding,” he said. “We do a lot of things up front in the running game. That’s what we pride ourselves on.”

Albin also said that regardless of the conditions, the Bobcats have trust in the hands of running backs Beau Blankenship and Ryan Boykin, both redshirt juniors.   

Eastern Michigan (1-7, 0-4 Mid-American Conference) has the country’s worst run defense, meaning that Ohio 7-1, 3-1 MAC) will more than likely have a host of opportunities to exploit the Eagles’ ground game struggles.

Eastern Michigan has surrendered 302 yards on the ground per contest.

Ohio’s offensive scheme will create more opportunities for redshirt junior quarterback Tyler Tettleton, Albin said.

“We always have things in our offensive package to take advantage of what we are seeing defensively,” he said. “We are going to find ways to get him (Tettleton) designed runs, but also receivers too. At the end of the day our quarterbacks are involved in carrying the football for our system.”

The inclement weather caters to Eastern Michigan’s running game as well. Sophomore running back Bronson Hill offers a shifty option for the Eagles’ offense, as he averages more than 8 yards per rush and has six touchdowns on the season.

“The weather is going to be a factor in this game. I don’t know what the conditions are going to be in terms of throwing the ball,” Ohio coach Frank Solich said. “I know both teams are going to need to be able to produce a run game in this game. I believe both teams understand that and that’s what going to happen.”

Solich said he expects no hangover effect from last weekend’s loss to archrival Miami.

“I think they’re going to be very good at being able to respond.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu