Ohio sophomore forward Tom Whetsel takes the puck during the Bobcats' game against John Carroll University. The Bobcats defeated the Blue Streaks 9-1 at Bird Arena on Sept. 21. (Austin Bachand | For The Post)

Hockey: 'Cats look to renew win streak against Illini

After picking up their first loss of the season against Liberty University last weekend, the Bobcats slipped from their place atop the American Collegiate Hockey Association rankings.

But the slip from last weekend that has the team most concerned is that which injured senior forward Nick Rostek as the team was leaving LaHaye Ice Center.

Rostek slipped and fell as Ohio (11-1) was leaving Liberty’s home rink. He had an X-ray taken Tuesday, and though coach Dan Morris doesn’t yet know the extent of the damage, he said the injury would sideline Rostek for at least a week.

Sophomore forward Tom Whetsel, returning from an injury he sustained in practice that kept him off the ice for the last three and a half weeks, will fill the void left by Rostek’s absence.

“You hate being hurt,” Whetsel said. “It feels great to be back on the ice and around the locker room.”

Whetsel was provided playing time in the team’s last series with Liberty and scored Ohio’s third and final goal after freshman center Michael Harris was ejected.

“The interchange is there,” Morris said. “It’s tough losing Rostek, but you do what you can.”

Morris said the team’s preparations for this weekend’s matchup with Illinois (9-2-2) have centered on getting the team adjusted to what it will be like playing in the U of I Ice Arena.

“We’ve been at home for so long, and our neutral zone is so different from every other ice rink we play in,” Morris said. “Illinois’ dimensions are so much different from our facility, so we went over different things in practice that prepare us for adjustments for this weekend.” 

Ohio has scored 10 goals in two road trips that it has taken, seeming to adapt well enough to any differences it had faced on the ice in West Virginia’s South Charleston Memorial Ice Rink and Liberty’s LaHaye to score goals at least three goals per game while away.

The matchup with the Fighting Illini will mark the Bobcats’ first series against a Central States Collegiate Hockey League opponent and the team’s second consecutive series on the road.

Illinois is coming out of its road trip last weekend to Iowa State with a 6-4 win and a 3-5 loss.

“We’re pretty upset about that loss last weekend at Liberty,” Whetsel said. “We’re definitely going to make a statement this weekend.”

jd202409@ohiou.edu

UP NEXT:

Ohio (11-1) v. Illinois  (9-2-2)

7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday

U of I Ice Arena