Numerous risks associated with energy drink consumption

Fizzy beverages boasting a high caffeine content might be as popular in aiding late-night study marathons as they are in prodding visits to the local health center.

The Food and Drug Administration released records about fatality and injury filings that point to a possible connection to several popular energy drinks, according to an article published in The New York Times.

The energy drinks cited include 5-Hour Energy, Monster Energy and Rockstar Energy; however, the article also noted that although the energy drinks in question were mentioned in the filings, it doesn’t necessarily indicate that they directly facilitated the reported injuries or deaths.

The risk of experiencing negative side effects from the beverages increases in those with a pre-existing condition such as underlying heart arrhythmia, said Francie Astrom, a nutrition counselor at WellWorks.

Adding to the risk of the high-caffeine drinks are those that are sold in more concentrated servings, such as 5-Hour Energy.

The 5-Hour Energy drinks have 207 milligrams of caffeine in a 1.93-ounce serving, compared to a larger energy drink such as Monster Energy, which is sold with 160 milligrams of caffeine in a 16-ounce serving size, according to up todate.com.

People who consume energy drinks should be wary of the beverages packaged in smaller containers because they are more concentrated, Astrom said.

Those who depend on energy drinks can experience a variety of non-life-threatening symptoms, including an increased heart rate, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, heart palpitations and high blood pressure, said Krista Duval, a provider at Campus Care. She said it can also result in dehydration and seizures.

“There are studies that show increased use of caffeinated drinks leads to an increase in visits to emergency rooms for panic attacks and heart palpitations,” she said.

Carlee Newberry, a freshman studying biology, said that unlike her friends, she stays away from energy drinks to avoid the side effects.

“(My friends) have gotten stomachaches from drinking those and from the 5-Hour Energy,” she said, adding that she prefers sodas such as Mountain Dew.

Pairing drinks of a high-caffeine content with other caffeinated substances, such as certain medications or naturally caffeinated drinks, can also increase the risk associated with the beverages.

Those who take Ritalin or Adderall to manage symptoms of attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are toying with the effects of two different stimulants when they choose to also consume an energy drink, Duval said.

“The other thing I see a lot is people who come in complaining of insomnia or anxiety, and these energy drinks cause a lot of problems for people who already have underlying anxiety or difficulty sleeping,” she said.

When not pairing the energy drinks with other caffeinated substances, Duval warned that students still have to be careful about how much they consume.

“Even if you’re not combining caffeine substances, people will still overdo it on these drinks and not put two and two together,” she said.

sg409809@ohiou.edu