Proposals and reviews capture Student Senate interests

Ohio University students dressed in O-Zone t-shirts cheered and jeered Wednesday night at The Convo as the Bobcats took on St. Bonaventure.

A few hundred yards away in Walter Hall, another group of OU students gathered wearing suits and dresses, generating a different kind of noise on-campus.

OU Student Senate met Wednesday night for their second to last meeting of fall semester, entertaining multiple presentations and undergoing several internal changes.

Brian Adams, a junior studying MIS, presented to senate about a website he launched fall semester called Bobcat Classifieds, a website similar to Craigslist that’s only available to OU students and faculty.

“It’s a more efficient way of buying and selling items from one student to another,” Adams said, seeking senate’s endorsement of the website.

Another presentation came from Drew Hudson, a student senator who is also involved with the Amanda J. Cunningham Leadership Center, about the special services the center provides to students, including professional career advice and experience planning.

“(The center is) a crossroads between getting you in the job you need to be and getting the skills you need in the workplace,” Hudson said.

Student senators also listened attentively to Ian Dryburgh, a regional marketing manager at USA Today, as he updated senate on the success of the Bobcat Readership Program.

“The purpose of this program is to enhance civic awareness,” Dryburgh said, adding that 41,000 newspapers have been picked up on campus since the program began in August, with an average of 684 newspapers picked up a day.

“It is entirely up to you how this program operates,” Dryburgh said. “We have the three titles (The Columbus Dispatch, The New York Times and USA Today) in this program because those were the three titles chosen last year.”

Multiple internal changes took place at Wednesday’s meeting as well, including rules changes to make the Senate Appropriations Commission more concrete and specific for future SAC members, said Tina Kongkeo, SAC Commissioner.

“We represent the student general fee dollars and general programming so we ask for everyone to be unified under one, little umbrella,” Kongkeo said, speaking to the fact all student organizations that advertise using SAC dollars must put a SAC logo on their advertising materials or suffer a fine.

Senate also unanimously confirmed three new senators, Tyler Blair, Christopher French and Andrew Mlynarski, at Wednesday’s meeting.

Last, senators voted unanimously to dissolve the Commission for State and Federal Affairs and the Commission for City and County Affairs in favor of creating a new commission, for Governmental Affairs, headed by current State and Federal Affairs Commissioner Giles Allen.

SAC’s balance at the meeting was $154,430.12 while Senate’s monies totaled $21,207.45, according to Treasurer Evan Ecos.

dd195710@ohiou.edu