The Marching 110 performs “Gangnam Style” at Peden Stadium during the game against Norfolk State. Ohio defeated the Spartans 44-10. (Jason Chow | Staff Photographer)

Show shines spotlight on the 110

Though many are used to seeing the Marching 110 on Peden Stadium or maybe even just on their laptop screens, for one night, the band will be in a different locale.

Saturday, the Ohio University Marching 110 will present its annual Varsity Concert at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

The concert, which has been a tradition since 1998, features the band playing every song it has performed at halftime this season.

The night will begin with the band marching in from the back of the auditorium, something that Jessica Sofranko, a member of the drumline and junior studying music therapy, said she enjoys from a different angle.

“I’m most looking forward to the beginning when we march in,” she said. “Even though I will be onstage with the rest of the drumline, I love seeing the reaction of the audience as the band marches down the aisles and when we play ‘Stand Up and Cheer.’ ”

Once the members finish marching, they will take their seats onstage. For much of the concert, the band will remain seated. But for other, upbeat numbers, some of the sections will stand.

The concert is important to those in the band because of all the effort they put into the songs all year, Sofranko said.

“We get the chance to show all the hard work we have put into the whole year,” she said. “It is just a really fun time.”

The band is the center of the attention at the concert, which is something Rebecca Bayman, a trumpet player and a sophomore studying organizational communication, said that she is looking forward to most.

“We are usually just the entertainment for our Bobcat sporting events, but at Varsity Night, we are the main event,” she said. “It’s thrilling being onstage with all the lights, people screaming and pictures being taken. The whole atmosphere makes you feel like a rock star.”

And while the feeling of being a rock star might be a major perk, Bayman said that she is excited, as always, to put on a show for fans of the band.

“I hope the audience has a great time while experiencing a great show from ‘The Most Exciting Band in the Land,’ ” she said. “I hope everyone has an amazing time watching us.”

The band’s director, Richard Suk, said that both the audience and the students love the event each year.

“People have a great time at these concerts every year, and it’s a great time to come out and support the band,” Suk said. “The band enjoys performing for the fans and really looks forward to these performances.”

ks574510@ohiou.edu