Sorority pageant showcases male Bobcats for children's charity

Forget heels, bikinis and gowns; one pageant on campus will feature more suits, gel and swim trunks.

Monday, Alpha Delta Pi sorority will present Mr. University, a male pageant showcasing men from different walks of life at Ohio University.

The inaugural event is part of the sorority’s effort to raise money for its philanthropy, the Ronald McDonald House, a charity that provides programs and services benefiting children’s health. All of the proceeds from ticket sales will go to the Ronald McDonald House.

Participants were selected to represent the different groups on campus, which helps guarantee that a myriad blend of men is represented, said Morgan Dewey, Alpha Delta Pi’s philanthropy chair and a junior studying communication sciences and disorders. 

“I contacted all campus organizations that have men in them and offered them a chance to select a representative in the pageant,” she said. “This is a good way to make sure there are a wide variety of men involved, not even just from the greek community, but all over campus.”

Despite Alpha Delta Pi’s efforts to reach out to groups outside of greek life, only four of the 19 men are from non-greek groups.

Participants will compete in three categories: formal wear, swimsuit and OU trivia. After the three rounds, the judges will score, and the top 10 will compete in a talent competition.

The winner will receive a zip-lining tour and a coupon for a free haircut at Court Street Cuts; both prizes were donated.

Though most men in the competition have never participated in something quite like a male pageant, David Butler, a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and a senior music production major, said that his on-campus experience has prepared him for performing for a large crowd.

“I perform in a lot of music ensembles on campus, so I think I’m going to approach the pageant with that kind of mindset,” he said.

The men in the pageant will surely be out to win, but Eric Horton, a member of Alpha Phi Omega fraternity and a senior studying biology and physical therapy, said that no matter the outcome, he is excited to raise money for charity.

“I don’t know much about any other male pageants, but I think that this event is a great opportunity to get the Ohio community out for an enjoyable night while raising funds and awareness,” he said. “I think this event is very informal, and the men involved are not in it for the competition, but rather to support a good cause.”

This idea is something that Dewey said she and the rest of her sisters are hoping all the contestants and audience members share.

“I hope that this brings the campus together in a different and fun way and brings more awareness to our philanthropy,” she said.

ks574510@ohiou.edu