Jason Johnson

Three arrests made in bank robbery cases

Three local men were arrested Wednesday in connection to two armed robberies.

Jason Johnson, 30, was charged with two counts of aggravated robbery for robbing Citizen’s Bank in Nelsonville in September and Jewell’s Carry-Out in Glouster in October.

Anthony Carey, 32, and Timothy Orsborne, 34, were each charged with one count of complicity to commit aggravated robbery in connection with the Jewell’s Carry-Out robbery, said Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn at his press conference Thursday.

The Nelsonville and Glouster police departments, the Hocking County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI and the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office were all involved in the investigations.

Johnson is from Haydenville, located in Hocking County, and Carey and Orsborne are from Glouster.

Johnson allegedly went into the bank and carried out a firearm. During the robbery of Jewell’s Carry-Out, Orsborne was driving the getaway car. Carey was also in the car and aware of what was going on, Blackburn said.

Another suspect, who drove the getaway car for the bank robbery, is still at large, Blackburn said.

Johnson admitted to his involvement in the bank robbery as part of a deal with police, Blackburn said. Johnson’s wife is under investigation for a felony in Hocking County. He admitted to his involvement so she would not be charged, Blackburn said.

All three men had gun specifications added to their charges because Johnson used a handgun.

Blackburn said $3,000 was stolen from the bank and an estimated $200 was stolen from the carry-out.

“Quite clearly, drugs were (the motive),” Blackburn said.

Warrants have been out for Johnson’s arrest since July, one for a misdemeanor case in the Athens County Municipal Court and one for not appearing for his sentencing hearing for a burglary case in the Athens County Court of Common Pleas, Blackburn said.

He pleaded guilty to the third-degree felony burglary charge and was to be sentenced to five years in prison, Blackburn said.

The search warrant that led to three men’s arrests was obtained from an anonymous tip and information from the Glouster Police Department. Johnson has been a suspect in the bank robbery since September, but police just received enough evidence to arrest him.

Blackburn said the handgun used in both alleged robberies was seized.

All three men are being held on bond at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Johnson’s bond is set at $500,000, Orsborne’s is set at $100,000 and Carey’s is set at $50,000.

Johnson could be sentenced to 28 years in prison if convicted, and Carey and Orsborne could be sentenced to 14 years in prison, Blackburn said.

All three have a preliminary hearing in municipal court scheduled for Nov. 9, but Blackburn said their cases will go to the grand jury Nov. 8.

ml147009@ohiou.edu