Flames pour out of the Research and Technology Center at 12:20 a.m. Friday. Firefighters responded to the scene, and no injuries were reported. (Ramon Luis Nieves | For The Post)

UPDATE: Rooftop fire being investigated as aggravated arson

The Ohio State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating Friday morning’s fire at the Research and Technology Building as aggravated arson.

The Fire Marshal office, which arrived on campus early Friday morning, will continue to investigate in conjunction with the Ohio University Police Department, said university police Capt. Brian Kapple.

University police are asking anyone with information about the fire to contact them at 740.593.1911.

The building is open for Friday classes and cost of the damages is not yet available, said Jennifer Krisch, university spokesperson.

The building previously housed one of OU's telescopes, which was bought in 1948 for $13,500, according to letters from Victor Goedicke, a past OU astronomy professor.

"The telescope (that was housed in R-Tech) is in storage and was moved within the last year for renovations,” said Wayne Chiasson, department administrator of Astronomy and Physics. “The damage from the fire was to the enclosure (shed) that housed the telescope. The telescope itself is safe."

OU police are investigating the fire with the Ohio State Fire Marshal's Office. University police officers were knocking on doors in Bromley Hall Friday morning asking residents if they had any information about how the fire started.

Stay with The Post for updates as they occur.

sj950610@ohiou.edu

rc348710@ohiou.edu