Fur Peace Ranch opens new store on East State Street

A new seasonal store will have Jorma Kaukonen fans rocking around the Christmas tree.

For 16 years, guitarist and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Jorma Kaukonen and his wife Vanessa Kaukonen have offered instructional guitar lessons at their Fur Peace Ranch, located at 39495 St. Clair Rd. in Meigs County.

Seeing an opportunity to act on the holiday shopping season, the owners decided to open the Fur Peace Ranch Company Store inside the Market on State, 1002 E. State St., on Nov. 20.

“The decision to open a retail store was so last minute,” owner Vanessa said. “We saw an opportunity to open a space during the holidays while also expanding our in-store and online merchandise.”

The store sells T-shirts, motorcycle jackets, autographed posters, kitchen items and more, ranging from 50 cents to $200, said Vanessa. She added that 80 percent of their inventory makes up the Fur Peace Ranch apparel, while the rest have some kind of connection to Jorma, such as his two bands Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

Although the Kaukonens never envisioned owning a retail store, when searching for an available and accessible location in Athens, the Market on State proved to be the best choice, Vanessa said.

“If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would have a store in a mall, I probably would have shot myself,” Vanessa said. “Our message is shopping locally — supporting what we, shops on Court Street and other Athens businesses, are doing.”

While the Court Street atmosphere is appealing, Vanessa said she prefers what the mall offers.

“Uptown foot traffic is really different than what comes to the mall,” Vanessa said.  “There are a lot students Uptown, but I don’t know if all the students are shopping at mom and pop stores.”

Jeroch Carlson, head chef and landscaper at Fur Peace Ranch who is currently working at the store, said he agreed with Vanessa, adding that the store attracts a “specific clientele.”

“Since most of our products have a connection to the ranch or Jorma, you have to have a special interest to come here to shop,” Carlson said. “But at the same time, if you love rock ‘n’ roll music, we’ve got great vintage vinyls, old concert posters and rare CDs here, too.”

Although the store is slated to stay open only until January, steady business since the store’s opening could mean a permanent spot at the Market on State.

“I’m saying seasonal but I don’t know,” Vanessa said. “If it goes well and it (continues) to go well, we may keep it.”

Sarah Julian, a junior studying child and family studies, said because of the limited music stores in Athens, she sees the store being successful.

“Athens is known for being a town that loves music,” Julian said. “What Fur Peace Ranch is offering is very unique and I hope they stay longer than the holiday season.”

sl642509@ohiou.edu