Jean P. Johnson of Canton, Ohio, won this year’s Battle of the MCs held in Walter Hall. By winning the competition on Jan. 28, he was the opening act for the Big K.R.I.T concert during this past year’s Sib’s Weekend concert. (Jason Chow | File)

MTV's 'RapFix' to feature local 10Fest veteran

With yet another surprise up his sleeve, local rapper Jean P will be featured on MTV’s RapFix on Wednesday.

“I feel like things are looking up,” he said. “(Parts) of my life are looking down right now and I’m just so excited and thankful for the opportunity. I feel like this is something I can talk about for years to come.”

After receiving a phone call from an Ohio University alumnus and launching a Twitter campaign, Jean P received an email from the show’s manager Tuesday afternoon offering him a slot on the show.

Jean P will be included in the website’s live show Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. In a segment titled “Get in the Game,” Jean P’s video for his single “Opposites Attract” will be viewed and critiqued by special guests Juelz Santana and Trinidad James.

Jean P will then Skype into the show to discuss his work and music. “Opposites Attract” was released this past winter. Since then, Jean P has competed twice in the Black Student Cultural Programming Board’s Battle of the MCs, opened for Big K.R.I.T. and Stalley at the Sibs Weekend concert in February, and performed at 10Fest in September.

Both artists serving as special guests have been prominent in the hip-hop realm, including Trinidad James’ rising track “All Gold Everything” and Juelz Santana’s “Back to the Crib.”

Jean P will head back into the studio next week to begin work on his next project, but for now, he’s just excited to appear on the show.

“You can’t be a hip-hop artist and not be on RapFix,” Jean P said. “I’m really excited.”

lf328610@ohiou.edu