OUPD makes arrest in arson investigation

Update:

A Chauncey man arrested in connection to the Nov. 30 fire on the roof of the Research and Technology Center has a court appearance scheduled with the Athens Municipal Court.

Jason Brown, 32, has been charged with criminal damaging, which is a second-degree misdemeanor. Brown will appear in the Athens Municipal Court Dec. 17, Ohio University Police Chief Andrew Powers said.

Powers added that if convicted, Brown could face a $750 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

The Ohio University Police Department arrested a Chauncey man in connection with the Nov. 30 rooftop fire at the Research and Technology Center located at 3 Richland Ave.

Jason Brown, 32, has been charged with criminal damaging in relation to the fire, according to an OUPD media release.

Brown, who is a custodian in the building, told investigators that he carelessly disposed of a cigarette while smoking on the roof, which later caused the fire, according to the release.

On Nov. 30 at 12:26 a.m., OUPD responded to a fire atop the building. The Athens Fire Department extinguished the fire and there were no injuries reported.

Initial reports estimated damages more than $21,000, but a definite amount has yet to be determined, according to the release.

kg287609@ohiou.edu