School of Music colleagues to perform chamber duet pieces

A pianist and a violinist will take the stage Wednesday night, bringing their interpretations of chamber music staples with a strong sense of trust and respect for one another.

The performers, Stephen Miahky, assistant professor of violin, and Gail Berenson, professor of piano, will perform selections from 19th century German and 20th century Italian music for their own faculty recital.

“There is a vast amount of literature written for piano and violin,” Berenson said. “We were looking for repertoire that we enjoyed and fit well into the program.”

Some of the pieces that will be performed — such as “Scherzo in C minor” by famed composer Johannes Brahms and “Sonata in A Minor” by Robert Schumann — are more traditional Romantic compositions for piano and violin.

“Sequenza VIII for Solo Violin,” an “avant garde piece…that explores the idea of structure versus chaos” written by Luciano Berio, will be performed by Miahky and is the only instance in which a solo composition will be played. The piece also serves as an example of the difficult music being performed.

Berenson and Miahky have a history of performing together. The first time was in 2009 when Miahky initially arrived to teach at Ohio University, and they have played several times since.

Through those past experiences, both musicians have come to hold one another’s skills in high regard.

“Gail is such a wonderful pianist. It is really easy to play with her,” Miahky said. “She is really open and sensitive to what you are doing.”

Miahky went on to say that compatibility is an invaluable quality in a musician, because it helps the collaboration when the two are receptive to what is happening in the pieces they are playing.

“It is always a pleasure for me to collaborate with such a superb musician and outstanding violinist,” Berenson said. “Working with such a fine musician elevates my playing, and hopefully I do the same for him.”

The recital itself will be an opportunity to put on a “fun” performance for the audience.

Miahky said that the real joy of the performance would be playing with Berenson, and collaborating to bring the pieces they have selected to an audience.

“The program provides us wonderful vehicles for communicating the emotions inherent in the music and sharing those with the audience,” Berenson said.

ds834910@ohiou.edu

If You Go

What: Faculty Recital

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Glidden Recital Hall

Admission: Free