Tilton

20-year-old charged with aggravated assault, enters plea agreement

A former Ohio University student pleaded guilty to breaking another student’s finger in a fight outside The Convo in September.

Reid Tilton, 20, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault as part of a plea agreement with Athens County Prosecutor’s Office on Wednesday.

Tilton was originally charged with one count of felonious assault for getting into a drunken disagreement with Austin Wright, an OU student, breaking his finger and tearing his North Face jacket, Assistant Prosecutor Michael Prisley said.

William Henderson, Tilton’s attorney, said the agreement started because Tilton thought Wright’s North Face was his. He added Tilton did not remember threatening to break Wright’s finger and that both men threw punches.

As part of the agreement, Tilton agreed to enter the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office Diversion Program and pay restitution to Wright. Tilton will have to pay $1,300 to cover medical expenses and $150 to replace his North Face.

Tilton’s felonious assault charge, a second-degree felony, was reduced to aggravated assault, a fourth-degree felony, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Athens County Court of Common Pleas Judge L. Alan Goldsberry said Tilton could be sentenced to a maximum of 18 months in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000 if he does not complete the diversion program and the terms of the plea agreement.

Goldsberry accepted the plea agreement and said he would not find Tilton guilty if he completed the diversion program and paid restitution to Wright. He added Tilton has the option to have the case sealed in the future.

If Tilton had been convicted of his original charge at a trial, he could have been sentenced to a maximum of eight years in prison and a maximum fine of $15,000, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

ml147009@ohiou.edu

kf398711@ohiou.edu