7Fest injury lawsuit dismissed

A Columbus woman who had to have part of her toe amputated after being stomped on by a police horse at 7Fest dismissed her lawsuit against the fest founder and city officials Monday.

Victoria Brooks had to have her right big toe partially amputated. She sued the Athens County Board of Commissioners, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Pat Kelly and Number Fest Founder Dominic Petrozzi, asking for $25,000 in damages, according to court documents.

The lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed in the Athens County Court of Common Pleas on Monday for the remaining defendant, Petrozzi. The court granted a partial dismissal for the board of commissioners, sheriff’s office and Kelly in June.

Brooks attended 7Fest, which was held at 7755 Williams Road off U.S. Route 50, in May 2010. Brooks said in court documents that an Athens County Sheriff’s Office mounted patrol horse was startled during the fest, reared and stomped on her right foot.

Brooks accused the defendants of negligence, not providing a safe and adequately sized venue, and failing to control the crowd at the fest. Petrozzi responded to the complaint in July, denying Brooks’ claims.

The lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice, meaning that neither Brooks nor any of the defendants can re-file the lawsuit.

ml147009@ohiou.edu