Easton Corbin and special guest Dustin Lynch will be performing at Mem Aud on Thursday as part of the Ohio University Performing Arts and Concert Series. (via Campus Involvement Center)

Billboard's 2010 top new country artist scheduled to perform at MemAud

Country music will kick off the semester with Easton Corbin taking the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium stage Thursday as part of the Ohio University Performing Arts and Concert Series.

Named the top new country artist by Billboard in 2010 and with two No. 1 singles under his belt from his first album, Corbin will be performing with special guest Dustin Lynch, another acclaimed country artist.

“We selected the Easton Corbin and Dustin Lynch package because both artists were at the top of the charts,” Andrew Holzaepfel,associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, said in an email. “They also have a broad appeal to both students and community. Both are very hot artists right now.”

Corbin and Lynch have performed together in 2012, and both said they enjoy playing together.

“It’s great working with him,” Corbin, who cited his top influences as Merle Haggard and George Jones, said in an email. “It’s always fun to have different opening acts and hear what new people are doing.”

Lynch said in an email that his music is influenced from many different sources and the mood always changes depending on the venue.

“I’d love to know how many stages I’ve played on since moving to Nashville almost 10 years ago. Each night is a new crowd and room and there's a unique energy every time because of that,” Lynch said in an email. “Me and the boys on stage feed off of that energy and that determines where the show goes.”

Corbin and Lynch both agree that college campuses normally turn into a party atmosphere, and that they enjoy playing those concerts.

“I have played many college campuses and really love the energy from all the students and faculty,” Corbin said in an email. “The band and I really like the atmosphere and the passion these younger fans have for the music.”

Holzaepfel said he didn’t expect the concert to be held during the initial week of classes, which affects sales.

“We expect a high energy crowd and a very fun atmosphere,” he said. “It will be a very full auditorium.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu