Celebrated flutist brings talent to OU

An accomplished flutist who has competed internationally and has been highly decorated by several organizations in the music world will perform at a free recital Friday evening.

Dr. Sarah Frisof, the assistant professor of flute at The University of Texas at Arlington will be performing Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Glidden Recital Hall.

Frisof will be performing a traditional flute repertoire including Bach and Kuhlau. In addition to the solo pieces, Frisof will also be performing with pianist Daniel Pesca. They will perform as a duo on pieces including Bohuslav Martinu’s “Sonata for Flute and Piano.”

Frisof is an accomplished performer and scholar who has a doctorate in music performance from the University of Michigan and also performs with the Dallas Wind Symphony.

Originally from Cleveland, Frisof is taking a tour through different Ohio universities, which has taken her to Bowling Green State University, Baldwin Wallace University and The University of Akron.

“(OU) is well known for its music school, and it is an important place in Ohio,” Frisof said about her visit to OU. “I’m setting out to draw a connection to my university and between the community here.”

On top of performing for a recital, Frisof will also be leading a master class at 12:30 p.m. on Friday in Glidden 550, during which she will work with the Ohio University Flute Studio and students will work with her in an audience setting.

Alison Sincoff, associate professor of flute at OU, said the master class is a chance for her students and others to experience another voice in this kind of setting.

“It is an opportunity to gain her philosophy and gain foundational skills on the instrument, such as tone, articulation, technique and interpretative things related to style,” Sincoff said.

Sincoff also voiced excitement for her students to be exposed to a different teaching style.

“It is a very well-rounded program that she is giving; these (are pieces) that would inspire my students,” she said. “Some of these standards would be great for the students to hear.”

Frisof said that it was a good opportunity to both perform and work with the students and they can learn from her as well as she from them.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing what is going on here (at OU),” Frisof said. “It is exciting to come back to my home state and see an artistic culture thrive.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

WHAT: Visiting Artist Recital: Sarah Frisof, Flute

WHEN: 7:30 p.m.

WHERE: School of Music Recital Hall

ADMISSION: Free