Nelson Court (Bethany Lilja | For The Post)

Dining halls set to reopen Sunday

Students returning to Ohio University this weekend will be greeted by warm rooms, soft beds, new friends and, at least till Sunday morning — no food.

OU Culinary Services will not serve its first meal of the spring semester board plan until 11 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 13, more than 24 hours after the dorms reopened for spring semester on Saturday, Jan. 12, at 9 a.m.

“Nelson Court, our largest dining venue, opens Sunday, Jan. 13 at 11am,” said Brian Thompson, director of Auxiliaries. “All other dining halls/courts will open on the first day of classes, Monday, Jan. 14, 2013.”

Culinary Services had to change their plan for how to accommodate the new semester calendar, Thompson said, adding that this decision was made based on student patterns from the quarter system and consultation with other on-campus groups.

“This year’s spring semester date was established with the anticipation that the majority of Ohio University’s on-campus students will be returning to the residence hall environment on Sunday, Jan. 13,” Thompson said. “Culinary Services consults with Residential Housing and our student led Culinary Services Development Committee (CSDC) prior to establishing opening and closing dates for each academic year.”

All campus markets will be open for business at noon on Sunday, according to Thompson.