Freshman Jill Sermonte jokes to the audience about her vulnerability to rapists during Front Room’s Open Stage Night. The increasing popularity of the event forced another night to be added to the schedule on Wednesdays. (Isaac Hale | File Photo)

Front Room adds open mic nights to Wednesdays

Musicians will now have more time to soak up the spotlight on the Front Room stage.

Bruce Dalzell, Front Room’s Open Stage Night curator, announced that an additional open stage would be added to Wednesday night’s lineup in conjunction to the usual Friday.

He said the open stage has seen a steady growth in participation within the past two years, with more regular performers and audience members looking to hear friends and others showcase their music.

“Last year was a good year … we had full sign-up lists and this year we had the full list for this week as well as the next week,” Dalzell said.

Mitchell Toler, a sophomore studying audio production and regular performer at the open stage, has noticed the increase in attendance since he had started playing at the event last year.

“It feels like you’re part of something cool,” Toler said about the expansion of the open mic night. “Especially with the part where Bruce is playing, where there is this community thing happening.”

Zachary Finn, a regular audience member and a junior studying graphic design, said the social aspect of the open stage, along with the music, makes it engaging and fun for people who attend.

“When you’re here you are enjoying the music together, and you know that everybody is here,” Finn said. “You could take a second away from your table to say hi to one of your friends who just entered the door, and support your friends if they’re playing.”

Dalzell said that he was glad to see such interest in his program that he has been running since around 1989.

“My No. 1 goal is to give a safe and comfortable place to perform for anyone who wants to,” Dalzell said.

He stressed that anyone could sign up if they wanted, regardless of whether it was for music or something such as spoken word or poetry.

“(The increased interest) supports my notion that people are looking to express themselves in some way,” Dalzell said. “This is a place they can do that.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Front Room Open Stage

When: 7:45 p.m. Wednesday

Where: The Front Room

Admission: Free