Promise Lives Campaign gets boost from donors

A combined $275,000 was gifted to Ohio University and its Lancaster campus on Tuesday to go toward the Promise Lives Campaign.

Karol A. Ondick, a 1955 OU alumnus that studied electrical engineering, and his wife Jo, donated $200,000 to the Russ College of Engineering and Technology.

"Karol and Jo have been the strongest supporters of our Engineering Ambassadors program, and the ambassadors themselves, since the program's beginnings in 2000," said Russ College Dean Dennis Irwin, in a news release.

The Ambassadors program, which includes 20 students from throughout the college, hosts distinguished visitors and runs events for the college.

The Ondick’s donation will fund the program's operating expenses, which includes annual stipends paid to the ambassadors, and will help pay for future expansion to the program, according to the release.

Fairfield National Bank also made a $75,000 contribution to Ohio University’s Lancaster campus for its Fairfield National Bank Scholarship, which was created in 1998.

The bank sees higher education as a priority and they chose to fund that priority and make it possible for students who need a little extra help, said Mandi Custer the development officer for Ohio University Lancaster Campus and Pickerington Center.

“Based on 2010 statistics, approximately 72 percent of students receive financial aid and about 25 percent are below the poverty level,” Custer said. “So the bank funding a scholarship is particularly important during a time where financial need is at an all time high. Without scholarship dollars, higher education would not be possible for a large number of our students.”

Steve Wells, president of Fairfield National Bank, said in a news release that funding the scholarship made “great sense.”

“Ohio University is a vital part of the economic vitality of our community,” he said. “It (the scholarship) ensures access to educational opportunity for deserving individuals and promotes their learning and leadership.”

Both donations support OU's Promise Lives Campaign, a $450 million campaign to support scholarships, faculty, the student experience, facilities and community outreach. The campaign ends in June 2015 and has raised $413 million, according to its website. OU Lancaster’s goal is $3.5 million and $2 million has been raised, according to Custer.

“In my opinion there is no greater gift than the gift of education,” Custer said.

“Because the impact is life long.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu