Student Senate, Benoit renew tuition discussion

This year’s Student Senate is looking to leave its mark by continuing a conversation about alternative funding models to permanently change how students pay for college.

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding will be in attendance at Wednesday night’s senate meeting to discuss a guaranteed-tuition model.

Guaranteed tuition sets a single tuition rate for undergraduate students for four years. The option gives an incentive for students to graduate on time and allows them to know exactly what their education will cost, Benoit said in a previous Post article.

Student Senate President Zach George said he believes OU’s Board of Trustees might support this change to tuition over other alternative forms of funding.

The meeting will be a continuation of the discussion about alternative funding started between the administration and the senate at Fall Semester’s meetings, George said.

“(Benoit and Golding) will be presenting some of the information on guaranteed tuition models that is included in the materials for the next Board of Trustees meeting,” said Ann Fidler, chief of staff for the provost and chief financial officer. “The presentation continues the discussion that Dr. Benoit and Mr. Golding began earlier in the academic year with Student Senate about tuition issues.”

DD195710@ohiou.edu