Two Democrats set sights on Council seat

Just weeks after an Athens City councilman announced he would not run for re-election, two potential candidates have announced they will vie for his spot.

Michael Bart, manager of Avalanche Pizza, and Ron Luce, executive director of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum, are both seeking Democratic Councilman Elahu Gosney’s at-large seat in the May 7 primary as Democrats.

Bart said working at Avalanche since 2008 and being a local disk jockey has given him an appreciation for the people of Athens.

“(My careers have) helped me get to know so many different people in the town and how the town works and the different things people value,” he said. “As a DJ, you are a uniter of people, and there is a lot of crossover between being a DJ and being a politician.”

Bart said he hopes to talk to more voters during the campaign and get their ideas for the city.

The goal of preserving Athens’ history pushed Luce to run for the council seat.

“While trying to work with the city to save Bella Vino over the last year, I felt that city administrators and various commissions were not following what I believed to be their responsibilities,” he said.

Having done extensive research on the city’s history, Luce said he could bring a unique perspective to the position while still playing by the rules council members should follow.

“By looking at the wonders of our historical background and uniting them with a vision of progress and growth, we can entice newcomers and tourists and make people who live here proud of where they live,” he said.

Gosney said he is excited that the at-large seat will be contested between two contenders who are excited about their plans.

“What I aimed to do during my time on Council was help city government become more progressive and better represent the people of Athens,” Gosney said. “I think that has happened, and whoever is on Council, I hope, will continue to move the city forward in that way.”

kg287609@ohiou.edu