Ohio guard Kiyanna Black runs down the court during the team’s game against Bowling Green. The Bobcats fell short Jan. 20 against the Falcons with a score of 67-41. (EMILY HARGER | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: 'Cats face tough challenge vs. Rockets

History and Ohio’s current season won’t be on the Bobcats’ side when they lace up their sneakers for a midweek tilt with Toledo.

It’s been 26 years since Ohio has won in Savage Arena. Toledo’s (17-2, 5-1 Mid-American Conference) .894 winning percentage and RPI ranking of 39 are both bests in the MAC and indicate the streak could continue for a 27th year.

The Rockets have also won 16 of their past 17 games overall, including five straight since dropping their conference opener to Central Michigan.

However, 2013 has not brought as much success for the Bobcats (5-13, 0-6 MAC), who remain winless in MAC play. Ohio was outscored by a combined 60 points in losses to Central Michigan and Ball State last week, as the team continued to struggle through fatigue and injuries.

Since beginning conference play, Ohio has not lost by less than 22 points per contest, as the Bobcats have surpassed the 50-point mark just twice during the six-game skid.

Offensively, the Rockets have four of the Top 30 scorers in the MAC, paced by redshirt senior guard Naama Shafir, who is averaging 12 points and five assists per game. Junior guard Andola Dortch has also fueled the MAC’s third-best offense with 11 points per game.

During their five-game winning streak, the Rockets are outscoring the opposition by 11 points per game, though Toledo beat Northern Illinois by just two points Saturday. The Huskies, like Ohio, are winless in the conference this season.

The injury status for guards Shavon Robinson, a junior, and Mariah Byard, a sophomore, has not been announced, as Ohio coach Semeka Randall was not made available to the media for comments Monday or Tuesday.

Robinson has missed the Bobcats’ past eight games, while Byard has not been active the past four. The guards remain the third and fourth top scorers on the team despite inactivity.

Because of the overabundance of injured players on the roster, seniors Laura Mastro and Ashley Jordan were added two weeks ago prior to Ohio’s loss at Miami.

Though the two have played just 30 combined minutes in four games, they have been helping the team get better in practice and providing key rest for players during games.

“It’s been hard learning the plays and how each player plays and meshes together,” Mastro said. “If the team needs me in practice, I’ll help there, and if they need me on the floor, I’ll do that. I just want to help get the ball rolling again.”

The Bobcats have lost the past five matchups with the Rockets and 13 of 14, including a 52-33 loss at The Convo this past season.

cl027410@ohiou.edu

UP NEXT

OHIO (5-13, 0-6) AT TOLEDO (17-2, 5-1) 7 P.M. WEDNESDAY

Ohio has not won at Toledo since 1987.

The Rockets have the best winning percentage in the MAC.

Ohio has yet to win in MAC play this season.