Via Keith Klenowski | The Ridges will be jump starting their series “The Ridges Presents” along with The Seedy Seeds, Thursday.

Athens folk group seeks to spread the word of hometown

Victor Rasgaitis, front man for The Ridges, has never been hushed when expressing his love for Athens and is hoping to share it with fellow musicians.

In the series, “The Ridges Present,” the group will introduce Athens to nationally touring acts that they have met while touring. Thursday’s show at Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St., is the first installment of the series, featuring The Seedy Seeds at 10 p.m.

“We always seem to get these big opportunities to play with nationally touring bands when they come through Ohio, and we are always raving about Athens,” Rasgaitis said. “We’ve taken it upon ourselves to start bringing those bands that have overlooked Athens to go to Columbus or Cleveland, and bring them back to our hometown.”

The positive relationship between the two bands has prospered as they prepare to go on tour and play at one of the largest music events in the U.S., South by Southwest Music Conferences and Festivals. The event is known to attract many talent scouts from the music industry, looking for the next big act.

“It’s a big step for us, and something we’ve always wanted to do,” Rasgaitis said. “This is where we want the band to go … from the weekend road trip tours to things that are more substantial.”

The band is excited to tour with The Seedy Seeds, who has a large following in Cincinnati and has broken out into the national touring scene, Rasgaitis said.

Rasgaitis added that The Seedy Seeds style really compliment The Ridges’ by incorporating a folk sound with an electric dance beat.

“We use folk instruments in a non traditional setting,” said Mike Ingram, banjo player for The Seedy Seeds. “It’s definitely pop music, Beatles based with harmonies and stuff. … But it’s also inherently electronic dance.”

Margaret Darling, guitarist for The Seedy Seeds, said after touring for seven years the process of writing has become automatic, combining electronic drum beats, synthesizer and folk elements. She added that the two bands mix well and have a great amount of admiration for each other.

“The Ridges are totally legit, they are the real deal, they are the whole enchilada,” Darling said. “When they perform you know they have put so much thought into how they want their song to come across, and it’s really exciting to see a band that’s so put together as The Ridges.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu

If You Go

What: Alex Miller, The Ridges and The Seedy Seeds

When: Thursday 10 p.m.

Where: Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St.

Admission: Free