Changes to funding could help more students graduate

Higher education reform was at the top of the syllabus for Ohio on Monday as Gov. John Kasich introduced his Jobs Budget 2.0.

The proposed budget, which has yet to work its way through the Ohio General Assembly, would cover fiscal years 2014–15 and slightly increase the State Share of Instruction to public universities each year. It would also emphasize graduation rates, rather than enrollment, in higher education funding.

State Share of Instruction, the primary way Ohio’s Board of Regents allocates money to state universities, will increase by $33 million, or 1.9 percent, in fiscal year 2014 and by $34 million, or 1.9 percent, in fiscal year 2015.

In fiscal year 2013, State Share of Instruction sits at $1.747 billion but will rise to $1.82 billion by fiscal year 2015 under the plan.

“To make sure college students get their money’s worth … our college and university presidents changed the way Ohio funds higher education,” Kasich said in a statement on his website. “Now Ohio won’t just base funding on how many students sign up but put a greater emphasis on whether or not they graduate.”

The proposed budget states 50 percent of the State Share of Instruction will be allocated according to degree completion, or the number of students who actually graduate with a degree.

“College affordability is important,” said Kasich Spokesman Rob Nichols. “Equally important is getting students to graduate because right now (graduation) rates are unacceptable.”

In 2011, OU ranked third among Ohio 4-year public universities with a six-year graduation rate of 82 percent, according to the most recent Board of Regents data.

OU’s 4-year graduation rate in 2012 was 65 percent, while the average among Ohio 4-year public universities was 46 percent, according to the Sept. 2012 Board of Trustees meeting.

Funding driven by college completion will urge universities to make sure students graduate, OU President Roderick McDavis said in a previous Post article.

McDavis was part of a commission of state university presidents led by Ohio State University President Gordon Gee and created by Kasich last fall that was tasked with modernizing the way higher education in Ohio is funded.

“Instead of looking at how many students come through the door, let’s look at how many students we graduate, how many students finish their programs,” McDavis told OU Student Senate last December, shortly after the plan was presented to Kasich. “(It) creates for universities the incentive to try to find ways to help you graduate.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu