Comedy to take the spotlight in place of melodic acts

As Spring Semester began, it looked as though there would be no performance in the Convo this spring, but Student Senate President Zach George was not satisfied with that.

On Wednesday, George got his way — with a funny twist.

Ohio University will be paying $150,000 in student General Fee dollars — originally budgeted for the Multipurpose Center — to host a “comedy  night” in The Convo with the approval of a budget proposal George sent to OU President Roderick McDavis Monday.

“The purpose of this is (to hold) a relatively inexpensive (event) for students,” George said, adding he hopes this event would generate the kind of buzz free concerts attract at other universities.

Student tickets will cost no more than $5, while tickets for non-students will be $20, George said. He added McDavis has approved those prices.

To see Bob Saget at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, the last comedian to come to OU, students had to pay at least $10 for tickets.

“I can’t thank McDavis and the vice presidents enough for working on this with me,” George said.

The event has tentatively been scheduled for April 18, the Thursday after 11Fest, though that date is subject to change, said Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi, who has been very involved in planning the event.

Though the event is still in the early planning stages, administrators and George hope to sell at least 4,000 tickets for the event, attracting as many students as possible because of the low-ticket price.

“This is basically saying we’re going to lose money so students don’t have to pay very much,” Lombardi said.

Staff at the Campus Involvement Center will start talking to agents Thursday, though no comedians have yet been lined up, George and Lombardi said.

The $150,000 comes from $800,000 of student money that had originally been allocated to paying for maintenance and debt service on the multipurpose center, according to a previous Post article.

The money was reallocated for student use this year after a delay in the Multipurpose Center’s construction.

Wrapping up discussion of the event at Student Senate Wednesday, Senate Treasurer Evan Ecos addressed a question about the caliber of talent OU is hoping to book for the show.

“We’re talking big (comedians),” he said.

dd195710@ohiou.edu