Carey

Glouster resident agrees to plea agreement for robbery, burglary charges

A Glouster man could spend four years in prison after pleading guilty Wednesday to robbing a carryout store.

Anthony Carey, 32, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated robbery and one count of burglary as part of an agreement with the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office.

Carey’s charges stem from an incident in October when he and Timothy Orsborne, of Glouster, assisted Jason Johnson, of Albany, in robbing Jewell’s Drive Thru Carryout in Glouster. Carey stayed in the car with Orsborne during the robbery while Johnson entered the store with a handgun, Prosecutor Keller Blackburn said. 

Blackburn said an estimated $200 was taken from the carryout and drugs were the motive.

Carey’s suggested sentence for his plea agreement is four years in prison for the aggravated robbery charge and five years of community release control for the burglary. Carey also agreed to testify truthfully about the incident.

He could be up for judicial release after serving a year of his sentence, according to court documents.

Carey could have been sentenced to a maximum of 14 years in prison and a maximum fine of $13,000 as part of the agreement.

Johnson pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated robbery stemming from the incident. He pleaded guilty to four other felony charges and was sentenced to 12 years in prison. Orsborne was also charged with one count of aggravated robbery and his case is still pending.

ml147009@ohiou.edu