Graduate Student Senate debates how to improve representation

The debate over three at-large positions continued Monday night as emotions heated up at Graduate Student Senate.

After previously suspending the resolution vote for further discussion, a split vote has delayed it once again until the next meeting.

Leading the charge to approve the new member positions was Joel Newby, commissioner for Graduate Life, who started the meeting with a presentation explaining the function of the proposed positions.

“The reasoning for doing this is that our body will be growing next year and this will help add to our representation,” Newby said.

The three new members will be elected by graduate students and serve under commissioners to address topics pertaining to the entire graduate student population.

However, not all members of the current GSS body see the need for these positions, including Jessica Furgerson, senator for the Scripps College of Communication.

“When we can’t fill all of the department representation, a lot of our senators don’t come to meetings … I’m just not sure that we need three elected positions when as a body there does not seem to be an overwhelming need for them,” said Furgerson.

Newby stood by his support of the new positions despite Furgerson’s concerns.

“We are getting screwed … because the undergrads are having a bigger voice than us,” Newby said.

No resolutions were passed at this week’s meeting.

oh271711@ohiou.edu